Gordo's Vancouver Adventure - the Blog!

Gordo's Vancouver Adventure - the Blog!
Gordo and his metal steed, Cheeto!

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Day 11 - Regina to Grand Forks and more rain?

Day 11 was an exciting one, and one that seemed to take forever too, but lots of stuff happened, so bear with me! Lots of great photos today and I didn't think I took all that many!

This is a marker about an old west trail that's about 20km from the southern border of Saskatchewan. You may have to zoom in to read it, but I love history! Keep reading, you'll see.

Here's Cheeto posing with the marker. Sorry Cheeto, but you need a bath!

The wind was really blowing and I set up the camera to do that timer thing. The whole time the seconds were ticking off I was sure the wind would blow the camera off this precarious ledge and smash into bits. I'll bet I looked like an idiot high-tailing back to the camera after it clicked.

A view of the landscape in southern Sask. Rugged country. I can't imaging being one of the first natives out here, nor the white folks who came after. I thought I was being tough with my schedule, but it took these folks 3 weeks to travel 250 miles by wagon.

This was another "Historical Marker" just about 5km from the border of North Dakota. Actually, this is a picture of Cheeto while I stood uphill next to the marker.

The landscape behind the marker.

You can zoom in and read this, but it's a three parter. You'll see the whole thing in a minute.

Part Two

And Part three.

And the whole thing all together. Pretty cool marker, hey? (Oh cripes, am I turning Canadian with all the 'heys'?) It was bound to happen at aboot any time, hey?

I can't begin to describe this country. Fascinating that folks back in the early days could see so much potential out here. The mining was immense, and now the place is littered with oil derricks!

This marker talks about a famous trail that claims you can still see the ruts of the original trail (I couldn't). What would you give to go back in time to see these things happening in real time?!

So you can read it.

This was (I think) the Canadian Border patrol building. I guess you aren't supposed to take photos of it, but what are they going to do, throw me in the hoosegow? Wait a minute, they just might!

More of that building.

Just past (and I mean literally JUST past) the US Gate there was a gas station...a US gas station that gladly accepts US currency (including $1 paper bills!) and dispenses fuel in GALLONS instead of litres. Ah, I was feeling nostalgic about home and I'd only been out of the US for a few days (even less if you count the overnight in Alaska!). I had a bite to eat here too, it's on the table behind me. Yes, that's either a Monster or a Rockstar. And yes, I know that Monster 'sponsored' me but sometimes I just couldn't get a Monster and had to settle for a Rockstar. I guess it's fitting, since I'm both a Rock Star and a Monster.

Remember my post from the other day, disparaging North Dakota? Remember my 'warning' to North Dakota last night giving them a second chance to impress me? (It's at the end of that post) You'll be able to see the results in another post (gimme a minute, hey?) but this was a very welcome sign to me. I loved Canada. Just LOVED it. But there's something near and dear to my heart when it comes to the good ol' USA.

This is a picture mainly for Jim Gallagher. Jim will instantly know what this is, but I'll give the rest of you a few clues and if you comment and guess correctly, you'll win some Canadian coin currency (God knows I've got enough of it and can't use it). Jim: Don't you spoil if for the others. You (and only you) can respond by email or FB message. the rest of you (to be eligible to win a Loonie or a Toonie) have to comment here.

Here's your clue: This is in North Dakota, west of Minot. There are hundreds of them.

Here's another. Looks pretty harmless and plain, huh?

Here's a little valley in North Dakota that I thought was peaceful. I really ripped North Dakota the other day, and wrote about how there was simply a whole bunch of NOTHING here. I was wrong. This is Little House on the Prairie stuff.

More from that same small valley.

And still more.

Check this out. I had to rush to get this picture because this bi-plane was zooming by and I had to get off the road on a curve to do it. How cool is that, hey?!

More of the bi-plane. (And for those of you with dirty minds, a bi-plane is one with two sets of wings. And NO other meaning!

I stopped for fuel in Minot at a station I had been to two years ago, when I traveled out here for work. Mind you, last time I FLEW to Minot and just walked from my hotel (the Kelly Hotel), but I remembered exactly where it was, and knew it was easy to get in and out of (that's what she said).

Anyway, this is Todd, who works on asphalt paving in the Minot area (at least for now). He was very interested in what I was doing and we chatted for probably too long. It was hot out though and the shade just to the left of Todd was quite nice.

Ah yes. This is what I saw as I was about 90 minutes outside of Grand Forks. "Here we go again," I thought.

More of this storm. It was VERY wide and at first I couldn't tell what direction it was moving, but I didn't think it was headed toward me. I knew it was either going from south to north or from west to east.

The 'tail end' of the storm? Maybe, depending on which way it was going.

So at some point, I apologized to Cheeto, because I had promised her all day I wouldn't get her wet again. I didn't think we'd run into this. I buckled my chin strap and off we went, probably faster than we should have. Luckily, it wasn't nearly as wide as it was long, and within about 30 minutes I had gotten to the other side of it and the skies were getting lighter.

Here's the bonus kicker: I went through some black, black, black sky and nary a drop landed on either Cheeto nor I. Somehow, US-2 took us right through the area where no rain was falling, although the pavement was pretty soaked so i must have been dumping some good rainfall as it moved through the area. That caused some spray from passing cars to land on Cheeto and I and get us moist, but nothing like the previous afternoon!

Does this look ominous or what? Yikes!

Just outside of Grand Forks Air Force Base, I stopped for fuel. This is Cheron, and she was helpful. Side story: outside the bathroom door there was a sign -

"Attention - there is no smoking in the bathroom. Anyone caught smoking in the bathroom will be removed from the store immediately!"

The bathroom is literally 15 steps from the outside. If you have to light up that badly, can you not make the 30 foot walk to the outside?

Ah yes, Back to Montana. You can read about her in my other post. Remember to comment on that one about how cute she is!

Closer shot of Montana.

Tomorrow I'm off to Madison, Wisconsin, for my final night on the road. Just two more riding days and one more night without my wife beside me!

Don't forget to enter my impromptu contest about the photos above! Comment away, followers! I love your feedback!

6 comments:

  1. My guess...nuclear missle silo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gordo---welcome back to the good ole'USA.
    I think Nate is right. Lot of military stuff up there and an Air Force base--Minot AFB. Thats where you get stationed if you don't behave but, at least you get to push the "Red Button".
    Ride safe
    kmotor

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the guesses so far...nuclear missile silo. Did you check and see if there was still a missile in it? Is anyone else surprised, and maybe a little concerned, that Gordon was allowed back into the US without any problem? Hmmm, and we are concernd about our southern border.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe Montana would like to move to Indiana? I have a spare room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. not silos---- homes!
    http://www.missilebases.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's funny!
    "Say, where do you live?"
    "Me? Oh, I live in an old missle silo. There's only one 'window' but it doubles as a skylight."
    And Nate is correct! Jim said the are minuteman something or others. I'm not Air Force so I wouldn't know a minuteman from a minutemaid.

    Oh and Russ - if you want Montana's number, just call Super 8 in Grand Forks!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive