Gordo's Vancouver Adventure - the Blog!

Gordo's Vancouver Adventure - the Blog!
Gordo and his metal steed, Cheeto!

Friday, July 16, 2010

The Wrap Up

Gordo's Vancouver Adventure, I'm happy to report, has been a complete success.

This was a journey of Discovery for me. I've discovered many things about myself, about this country of ours and our neighbors to the north, and I've discovered many things that I thought no longer existed in my fellow man. I've discovered the limits of my abilities and many times they were beyond what I thought possible previously. I've discovered that there is great truth in 'where there's a will, there's a way.'

I've discovered so many things and I want to share them with others. But I'll save most of that prose for my book, which will get underway in a few hours. In the meantime, let me take a moment to kind of wrap up the blog and summarize this trip as completely as I can.

The money is still coming in, and I'm happy to say that I've surpassed $1,000. I suspect that it will be more than $1,500, but while I don't have a tally for you on that just yet, I can tally up lots of other things:

Miles ridden: 6,602.7 miles (10,630 kilometers)
Times stopped for fuel: 73
Number of days spent riding: 13
Number of days NOT spent riding: 0
Hours in Vancouver: 1.5
Hours in Alaska: 13
Departure date: July 3, 2010 7am
Return date: July 15, 2010 7:30pm
Average miles per day: 507.9 miles (817.7 kilometers)
Average miles traveled per fill up: 99.44 miles (145.6 kilometers)
Major weather events that I was involved in or within 50 miles of the event at the time it happened: 2 (Calgary hailstorm and Eau Claire, Wisconsin tornado)

Number of beers enjoyed on the trip: 13. Yep, just 13. Happily, I was eager to try local brews from the areas where I was staying.

Times I was Hyderized: 1
Times I had planned on being Hyderized: 2

Hotels that donated a room as part of my charitable effort: 8
Hotels that didn't: 4 (although a friend came through and popped for one room for me).

On to the most important part, the thank you messages.

First and foremost, thank you to my beautiful and understanding wife and family. They have undergone quite a lot with this trip, and I'm sure it can't possibly have been easy. I've probably been called far worse than 'crazy' but they knew my heart was set on this and supported me the entire way.

My closest friends - Matt and Lorraine. Matt was supposed to accompany me on this journey of a lifetime, but for a variety of reasons, couldn't make it. I understand completely and am glad he was able to take care of his other commitments. It would have been more disappointing to have him start the journey with me only to have to turn and go home alone after we started. Someday Matt and I will make another momentous journey together, and I'm sure I will apply many of the things I learned on this trip. Matt and Lorraine have been so supportive of my effort, even when they sat scratching their heads and saying things like, "so what do Colitis and Alaska have to do with each other?" or "Wait, you are going to Vancouver, but only for an hour or so?"

To my trusty metal steed, Cheeto. Girl, you are solid as a rock, baby! I know we went through a lot together, and I put you down some pretty treacherous roads and through some wild conditions, but you held it together and got me where I needed to go every day. It's good to have you to count on. Thank you for keeping me mobile, safe and stylish!

To my rekindled friends from the past that have supported me on this effort. Myles, who rode with me for two days, including a day through Glacier National Park in Montana with his charming and affable wife Deb. This trip allowed me to rekindle our friendship in person after 24 years. Also Bob and Teri Starkie, who I knew from around the same time as Myles. Bob & Teri shocked me with a rather large donation to the cause. And rather than seek the limelight for doing so, they are remaining quiet about their reasons why. I respect that.

To Stacy Baker, my 'agent'. Stacy knew that one of my goals in life was to write a book. She also advised me not to bother unless I was writing about something I was passionate about. At first, it was a simple "discover America on motorcycle" idea, but then quickly because a charitable effort and included Alaska, because (following her sage advice) it was something I had become passionate about. Stacy is nothing if not kind and helpful. She challenges me constantly, but only because she knows that my best efforts are -like pearls- most productive after great irritation or work. If it's easy, it's probably not going to be good. If it's difficult, it can't help but be good.

My inspirations for this charitable effort: Sarah and Russ. These two have the most positive outlook on everyday life and never have a bad thing to say about the hand they've been dealt. They both constantly focus on the good, and only after repeated prompts will acknowledge that perhaps today 'isn't the best they've had in awhile'. It's because Crohn's and Colitis has deeply affected the lives of these two genuinely good souls that I got interested. As I learned how many more were affected directly or indirectly, I knew I was on to something good. And doing good feels great!

My co-workers and followers online. I cannot possibly list them all, but folks who I knew long ago and folks I just met from this effort combined to keep my energy levels high. Their feedback and comments reminded me that what I was doing was the 'right' thing to do. The new folks that became 'friends' on facebook or simply joined the fray on this blogsite were also instrumental in my mental health and attitude. There are far too many to list.

The media. Hardly anyone ever thanks 'the media' these days. Instead, we just heap blame on the media for blowing things out of proportion or keeping dead issues alive. In my case however, to be thanked are: The (Fort Wayne) News-Sentinel, The (Fort Wayne) Journal Gazette, WANE Newschannel 15 (Fort Wayne), WJON in St. Cloud, Minnesota and countless others who had picked up the story and run with it as a 'feel good' happy news item. It was through many of these efforts that new folks learned of my endeavor and that brought them flocking to this blog connecting with me. Thank goodness that they did.
Specifically, I want to thank Melody Schmitt-Foreman, Frank Gray, Cindy Larson, Terry Lee, Kevin Kilbane, Alyssa Ivanson and Craig Klugman.

To the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America (Indiana Chapter) - Dawn Drinkut and Scott Baumruck specifically. Scott was my reassuring voice when I thought I was going to seriously be traveling across this country both literally AND figuratively alone. Dawn got me started and really helped me with my initial research so that I wouldn't look like a total idiot. I guess you could say she helped 'school me'.

All the folks that took the time to speak with me out on the road. I'll do my best to mention them all here but I'm sure I'll miss some folks. Please know that I don't mean anything by it. It's just that I met an awful lot of people in a very short period of time:
Mary, Neil (from S.F), Dan, Linda (clerk at Select Inn, Bismarck, ND), Cindy and Carol in Dickinson, ND, Ben in Glendive, MT, David and Kathy from Lafayette, Indiana, Patty & Jan (Motor Maids from Saskatoon), Charles in Havre, MT, Brian the Lay's guy in St. Mary's, MT, Glenn from Ann Arbor, Mi, Wes in 100 Mile House, BC, Jason & Paige from Terrace, Tracy at the Mohawk station in Quesnel, Jerry at the Publik, Lee from Stewart, BC (we met in PG), Calen and Ben from Smithers, Suzi and Robin at the Sealaska, Gary and Michelle at the Sealaska, Caroline at the Glacier Inn (breakfast mate), Gary from Prince George (met in Burns Lake), Bulldog and Laurel in Burns Lake, Michelle at Esther's Inn in Prince George, Brad from the Saskatoon area, Jessie in McBride, Robert Darling (met in Jasper), Constable Raz in Calgary, Toronto Tony (IBM guy) in Regina, Marla in Regina, Todd in Minot, Cheron in Grand Forks, Montana and Rylie in Grand Forks, Marie from Evansville, Sheila at Subway in Alexandria, Mike from Stillwater, Jake from Anoka Ramsey, Jack and Tika west of Eau Claire, Rick from Janesville, Pam & Courtney from Huntsville, Texas, Dave in De Forest.

And MANY others who spoke with me but I didn't get their name or photo or just plain forgot to write it down. Every single one of you is important to my effort. Thank you so much for listening!

To all the hotels that saw the light and ponied up a room for the night for me. Please take a moment to remember these folks in your prayers and for the love of all things positive, STAY in these places when and if you get a chance (my reviews/impressions are forthcoming):
  • Best Western Countryside Inn - Lodi, WI
  • Outlaw Inn - Kalispell, MT
  • Coachman Inn - Bellingham, WA
  • Treasure Cove Hotel - Prince George, BC
  • Sealaska Inn - Hyder, AK
  • Esther's Inn - Prince George, BC
  • Hotel Saskatchewan - Regina, SK
  • Comfort Inn - De Forest, WI

Finally, a few random thank yous:

  • Todd - you literally saved my ass. Thanks for the Anti-Monkey Butt Powder.
  • Roger and Matt - You made Cheeto in tip top shape. She thanks you, as do I.
  • Big O - even though you acted as though you could care less when I returned home (as cats do), I know you missed me. Thanks for sticking around, even with your growing illness.
  • My sister, who supported me mentally, prayerfully, and monetarily.
  • The ghost and/or spirit of my Mom. I believe she was possessing the bodies of birds, swooping down to remind me to be careful, or just to remind me that she had my back.
  • To the gas stations and rest areas across the US and Canada: You don't know how welcome a sight you are. Thanks for having (mostly) clean restrooms and conditions.
  • To the Internet - with you (and God) all things truly are possible!

1 comment:

  1. Great to see you back at home with a story to tell, Gordo! Can't wait to hear/read more about it.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive